Puppia harness or Kurgo harness – which is better?
If you’re looking for a dog harness, you might feel torn between two popular brands: Puppia and Kurgo. Maybe you are wondering what is the difference between the two and if one is better than the other. Ultimately, Kurgo makes heavy-duty harnesses that are better suited for large or strong dogs, while Puppia makes lightweight harnesses optimized for comfort and primarily designed for smaller dogs.
Kurgo dog harness
Kurgo specializes in heavy-duty harnesses for dogs, including harnesses tested for safe use in vehicles. Although they are available in small and large sizes, they may seem a little bulky for small dogs.
If you’re looking for durability and don’t mind a heavier harness, Kurgo is a great option. Most Kurgo harnesses cost between $20 and $50 depending on size and type, and you get quality construction.
What You’ll Love About Kurgo Dog Harnesses
- Some Kurgo dog harnesses have been officially crash tested, making them safe to use for securing your dog in the car. Some even include a dog seat belt attachment.
- Kurgo harnesses feature front and back leash attachment D-rings. The front D-ring is located in the center of the chest and helps prevent dogs from pulling without pain or discomfort.
- The larger Kurgo harnesses are suitable for dogs weighing up to 100-110 pounds, so only very large dogs will be too big for a Kurgo harness.
- You can find lightweight options and models designed for racing that are great for active dogs that don’t want to be weighed down.
What You Should Consider About Kurgo Dog Harnesses
- Because they are durable and most have metal parts rather than plastic, some Kurgo harnesses can feel quite heavy.
- It can be difficult to find the perfect fit for Greyhounds or some other breeds with very deep chests.
- The smaller Kurgo harnesses are larger than the smaller Puppia harnesses, so they are not ideal for toy breeds.
Kurgo Dog Harness Top
An extremely sturdy harness that has been crash tested to provide car safety for dogs weighing up to 75 pounds. It is an excellent choice for the car and walks.
Thanks to the mesh material and plastic hardware, this harness is lighter than other Kurgo models, so it is ideal for long hikes and for use in hot weather.
Designed for running and jogging, this harness provides a full range of motion and allows dogs to easily lunge forward for a full run.
Sold by Amazon
Harness for puppies
While some harnesses may feel heavy or bulky, especially for small dogs, Puppia specializes in lightweight harnesses that don’t weigh dogs down. Many use a polyester mesh, which is ideal for hot days.
For the most part, Puppia harnesses are best suited for smaller dogs, not only because of their size, but also because their lightweight designs aren’t exceptionally durable and can struggle to withstand the wear and tear of large, strong dogs. Puppia dog harnesses are relatively affordable, with most costing between $10 and $25.
What You’ll Love About Puppia Dog Harnesses
- Most Puppia harnesses use a lightweight, breathable mesh material or a plush or faux fur lining, so they are extremely comfortable for dogs to wear.
- Puppia dog harnesses are simple to put on and fasten which is ideal for inexperienced owners or nervous dogs.
- You can buy Puppia dog harnesses in very small sizes that are suitable for puppies and toy breeds.
- Puppia harnesses are available in a range of cute colors and patterns, including floral, polka dot and diamond prints.
What You Should Consider About Puppia Dog Harnesses
- Larger Puppia harnesses are suitable for dogs the size of Labrador, so larger dogs are often bigger. Most Puppia models are even smaller than that, so really, they’re best suited for small to medium-sized dogs.
- Some Puppia harnesses are not adjustable around the neck, which makes it more difficult to get a good fit on dogs with a less conventional shape, such as barrel-chested breeds.
- Puppia harnesses do not have front clips or other solutions to help when dogs pull on the leash.
Top Puppia Dog Harness
This is a simple, over the head, soft and lightweight harness available in larger sizes. However, it is not adjustable around the neck, which can lead to sizing issues.
This is a similar style of harness to the option above, but this one has adjustable straps around the neck, making it a better fit for some dogs.
With a pull-on vest design, this harness is great for smaller dogs and dogs that can wiggle out of other harness styles. Even its larger sizes aren’t huge, so check the size chart carefully before purchasing.
Should you get a Kurgo dog harness or a Puppia dog harness?
Although Kurgo makes small harnesses and Puppia makes large harnesses, Kurgo dog harnesses are generally best for medium and large dogs. On the other hand, Puppia dog harnesses are best suited for small to medium sized dogs. Whether your dog would fit comfortably in either harness, determine your preferences. If you sacrifice durability for something light and comfortable, the choice is Puppia. If you prefer something heavier and sturdier, choose Kurgo.
Register here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Lauren Corona written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.