Dog poisoned by methamphetamine while walking in San Jose – NBC Bay Area

What started as a simple walk for a San Jose man and his dog turned into a rush to the emergency vet.

Loki, a 10-year-old Husky, ate drugs on the walk and vets say it’s something they’ve seen too many times.

“He’s just starting to take off and I have to run with him, going back and forth down the street for a good 10-15 minutes,” dog owner David Espinal said, adding that Loki was erratic when they got back. home after their walk. .

Espinal took him to the nearby MedVet clinic where vets gave Loki a drug test and found the dog had ingested methamphetamine.

“I didn’t think he could just rummage through the bushes and find meth,” Espinal said.

But MedVet said it’s becoming increasingly common for dogs to find and eat the drug itself or a drug paraphernalia.

“Our doctors used to see a few cases a year, maybe a handful of cases. Now we see one to two a month,” said Terra Schorpp, hospital director at MedVet. “In the last 48 hours, we’ve actually had two cases.”

Clinic vets said most of the cases they see occur when dogs are walking near homeless encampments.

If you suspect your dog has eaten drugs, they urge pet owners to get to the vet as soon as possible.

“It’s life threatening and it can damage organs,” Schropp said.